Words of Advice - Calligram

A calligram is an image that is is presented through words that have been meticulously and thematically laid out in order to create a subject.   I created a calligram self portrait made from quotes that have been said by successful directors in filmmakers.  As an aspiring filmmaker, these are the quotes that spoke out to me.




Pick up a camera. Shoot something. No matter how small, no matter how cheesy, no matter whether your friends and your sister star in it. Put your name on it as director. Now you’re a director. Everything after that you’re just negotiating your budget and your fee.

JAMES CAMERON


The saddest journey in the world is the one that follows a precise itinerary. Then you’re not a traveler. You’re a f@@king tourist.

GUILLERMO DEL TORO


My idea of professionalism is probably a lot of people’s idea of obsessive.

DAVID FINCHER


​​“I just want to tell good stories in ways that will shine a light on lives rarely seen on screen,  because stories can push humanity forward.”

– NIA DACOSTA


"Truly creative things happen when one thinks differently, yet nobody wants to think differently."

-SHONDA RHYMES


"The Challenge with this kind of work is in trying to make it everyone's story. That can quickly make it no one's story, and so I like projects that are risky and scary and that aren't sure-shots."

-DEE REES


"My advice for anyone wanting to direct is that nobody is going to hand you an opportunity. You hace to create youre own opportunities and not take no for an answer."

-MARIELLE HELLER


“It sounds kind of flighty, filmmaker-y, but I believe films are a piece of art. They are meant to be what they’re meant to be, and sometimes the artist is informed by the film of what it needs to be.”

– AVA DUVERNAY


 “I’ve been very fortunate. Some people might call me a hard head, but I’m not going to let other people dictate to me who I should be or the stories I should tell. That doesn’t register with me.”

– SPIKE LEE


Comments

Popular Posts